CITY OF LANCASTER WATER BUREAU- “SAVE IT” PROGRAM FAQ
1. WE JUST RECEIVED A LETTER REQUESTING WE SETUP AN APPOINTMENT TO UPGRADE OUR WATER METER SERVICE. IS THIS AS LEGITIMATE REQUEST? OR IS THIS A SCAM?
This is a legitimate request. The City has contracted Itron Services and Grid One to upgrade our Water meter service. Please call the number on the letter to schedule your water service upgrade.
2. WE JUST RECEIVED A LETTER BUT IT DID NOT INCLUDE A TELEPHONE NUMBER TO CALL TO SETUP AN APPOINTMENT. WHO DO I CONTACT?
You do not need to setup an appointment if the letter is from Zone One and does not include a phone number. This indicates that your account was identified as having an outdoor meter and should be easily accessible.
3. AM I REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE IN THE SAVE IT PROGRAM AND HAVE MY METER SERVICE UPGRADED?
Yes. Participation in the Save It Program is mandatory.
The technology of all of customers, both residential and business, will be upgraded.
Your cooperation in making an appointment when notified is appreciated.
4. WHAT WILL YOU BE UPGRADING?
We will be replacing the current Neptune touch pad with an Itron Endpoint (AMR) and any meter up to a 2” in size that is 14 years or older.
5. IS THERE ANY COST FOR THE REPLACEMENT?
No, there is no cost to you; however, you must schedule an appointment to have the equipment replaced. The number to call is 1-866-733-8303
6. WILL I HAVE TO BE HOME AND WHAT AM I REQUIRED TO DO?
An adult 18 years or older must be present for inside installations. You must secure all pets, provide workable plumbing, and three feet of clear space around the inside meter and outside reading device locations.
If your water meter is located outside, no one is required to be present. The installer will leave a notification that your installation has been completed.
If you are a rental property owner or manager, you should notify your tenants of your installation appointment.
Please inform them of the brief interruption in water service that may occur during the meter upgrade.
7. WHO WILL BE DOING THE INSTALLATIONS?
The City Water Bureau has contracted with Itron Technologies and Grid One to upgrade your water meter service.
8. HOW DO I IDENTIFY THE INSTALLER? HOW CAN I BE SURE THAT THE INSTALLER WORKS FOR YOU?
- We encourage customers to ask for identification from anyone who comes to their door.
“No Identification = No Entry”.
- All installers will carry two forms of photo identification:
a) Their company picture ID badge.
b) City of Lancaster Authorized Contractor badge.
- All identification badges and vehicles in addition to having their company logo will also have an Authorized Contractor City of Lancaster logo.
- All installation activities are registered with your local police department and the City of Lancaster customer service and security units.
9. HOW LONG WILL THE INSTALLATIONS TAKE?
In most instances, installation should take less than an hour. Some installations may take longer.
10. HOW DOES AMR TECHNOLOGY WORK?
Each water meter will be connected to a small device (Endpoint) that is installed on the exterior of your home or business. For the area inside the City limits, we will be using a “fixed” antenna (collector) network. The Endpoint will read the meter several times each day and send a low-powered radio signal to electronic collectors throughout the City.
For the area outside of the City limits, we will be using a “mobile” collector. An antenna will be affixed to the top of a City vehicle, which will send a signal to the Endpoints. The Endpoint will read the meter and send a signal back to the mobile collector. The Endpoint’s signal includes all information needed about water usage, eliminating the need for meters to be read manually.
11. HOW WILL AMR TECHNOLOGY IMPACT MY WATER BILL? WILL MY BILL GO UP?
As water meters age, they run slower and under-register water usage. AMR technology ensures all customers pay for the water they use – no more and no less.
Some customers may notice an increase in their water bill. This is because the new meter is accurately measuring water usage, while the old meter was under-registering usage. AMR will minimize bills based on estimated reads and ensures that your bill is based on actual usage. In addition, AMR technology improves accuracy –eliminating the potential for human error in meter reading – and can help to identify any irregularities in water usage (such as leaks, damaged or broken meters) before the problem shows up on your bill.
12. ARE THERE MEASURES TAKEN TO PROTECT A CUSTOMER’S SECURITY WITH THE USE OF THIS NEW TECHNOLOGY?
There are security measures in place to protect water use data. Security policies for use of customer data are in place and periodically reviewed and updated. Information transmitted contains the meter serial number and consumption data. No identifiable homeowner information is transmitted.
13. ARE THERE HEALTH CONCERNS RELATED TO THE USE OF THIS TECHNOLOGY?
No. This system uses very low-frequency radio waves. Various studies have indicated that this exposure level presents no harmful side effects.
14. WHAT IF I HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE LAST METER READ BEFORE MY UPGRADE?
Images will be taken of the old register, should any questions arise about the last reading.